13.10.08

Stereo - Glasgow




The morning was grey and rainy here in glasgow. I woke up on the floor on top of the living room seat cushions feeling a little like my sleeping bag was a python trying to squeeze the life out of me. I wasnt too hung over because of some restraint, and I made an attempt to drink exceptional brews rather than swill which seems to have less of a hangover imp-act. I did notice that I had a dizzy feeling and after extracting myself from the grip of death that my bag had on me, I decided to cleanse my body and mind. So far in my experience the showers in the UK all have some kind of trick, possibly to prevent people from using too much water. The switch to turn on the shower was located outside the bathroom door and it looked just like any other light switch. I was confused but my fine host Russell showed me the trick and all was proper in the end. It seems the hospitality has no end here in Glasgow, and our host made us the most amazingly refrshing lentil soup for breakfast. It kicked ass and started the day right. Surprisingly it was nearly noon when I woke and almost 3pm when Ego, Dave and I were all showered and ready to go collect our instruments from the record store. It was, how they say here "pissing rain"; and so by the time we got to Monorail records we were soaked. We wore garbage bags walking our equipment through the downtown shopping district of Glasgow on our way to Stereo for the setup and so looked like a cross between homeless people and spacemen when we turned up at the venue. Stereo is another combination venue with a nice bar/vegetarian restaurant upstairs and the stage and actual hall for performance downstairs. It was very busy so we had to stand around in the doorway all dripping black plastic and wet shoed until a table became available. The food was delicious and it was basic but well put together; things like fajita's, taco's, and soups/sandwiches.There was even something called veggie haggis fritters which, although tempting, wasn't my choice for dinner that night. The people who worked at the record store and let us stay with them; Russell - Kirsty - Dave - John - Benoit - all those involved with making the show an amazing spectacle of lights and sound - paul who worked the gels, Shauna who did an amazing job of sound, Paul the manager of Stereo, Dave/Benoit who DJ'ed some righteous tunes. I also tried to find the guy who generously donated his drums for the night but I had no luck as Russell was otherwise occupied.There was a proper backstage at this venue and we were able to don our "show gear" which consisted face paint for Dave, a wonderful catsuit with stripes for Ego Sensation and my ninja mask. As we took the stage the crowd hushed and it was 1,2,3, go - Dave broke a string and it cut his finger and because he didn't know how deep it was it started spraying blood all over and I vividly remember seeing a few dots of it seeming to float through the air in the nidst of the crazy light show and land on my drum. This was even confirmed later visually. The show itself was just a blur for me, we didnt even start until about 12:30 (or half past zed, or 30 past nothing) and I was completely absorbed in drumming my guts out for the next hour or so. After the show we smashed everything back into a cab and passed out back at Russell and Kristy's around 3am or so.

No comments: