22.10.08

Verbania - "Perche Non?" at Il Kantiere - last show




As I write this I sit in my SF flat completely jut-lagged and dizzy from the timezone crossings so please pardon me if I cannot get the names correctly or remember the details. The last night playing was in Verbania Italy. There are 2 impressions I was left with on the night of the show there, 2 thoughts that left me humbled and happy. First there had been a feeling of great celebration and second it was completely organized and professional in a truly positive way, everyone who wanted to be there felt they had a place. In the town of Verbania is the club night called "perche non?" at the community center 'Il Kantiere' located in between the amazing mountains and the beautiful lake. These people made us feel like we had been friends with them all of our lives. The band that opened was called King Suffy Generator and though I cannot remember any names at this late date, these are guys who rocked like crazymen. I had such a good time listening I did in fact bust a move dancing my ass off. There were people of all ages at this show as well, from 6 to 60 who came out to support the music and the community. We had another big sit down dinner with pasta and wine and all the trimmings after the soundcheck, and we even got to play on the Bocce court for a minute. It was a perfect slice of the life in Verbania, and I will never forget the sincere hospitality of these kind and generous people. I was so greatful that all the small towns we went to were incredibly generous to us and had a totally sincere idea to get together and listen to rock music and have a kick-ass time. I remember Mateo was the guy who got the show together with Dave, and I recall this guy named (not sure really) Albertino I think they called him 'Albe' - even though I did not understand Italian he seemed like a funny guy and I was laughing with him. I also remember that there was Valentina who spoke perfect english and helped us by letting us know how everything was, getting us drink tickets and even givning us some history and background on the Il Kantiere. From what I understood it used to be in a different location, sort of a cave looking place and the floors were sticky. Very Rock was what one guy told me. I can see why he said that too, but I have played in a million smelly sticky crappy rock venues in my life and it is refreshing to have working lights, an exellent sound guy and equipment, and clean bathrooms. Let me say it again, clean bathrooms. Anyway, this show was so fun to play with everyone having fun, and the great food - the excellent bands - and when it was time to end the night, everyone did so; just faded into the night with the sound of glass toasting and drunken laughter and good night kissin. Our hosts of course had everything worked out, they put us up in a cool old monastery that is also a hostel. It is run by the local Dioscese or what ever order of the Church that practices there and it is one of the most immaculate places I have ever stayed. I even got a top bunk and a shower; hog heaven I was in and fell asleep with complete satisfaction scribbled all over my face. Verbania was the perfect place to have the last show on our tour, it was like we had already come home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for all guyz.

+KSG-